Log in

Supporting bushfire affected small business

10 Jan 2020 4:35 PM | Lisa McPherson (Administrator)

Visit www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au

Supporting bushfire affected small business

Good afternoon,

Our thoughts are with the thousands impacted by the bushfire disaster. 

Please see below our most common questions that we are receiving in our contact centre and some responses to support bushfire affected businesses. Could you please direct this email to your Contact Centre Manager to brief their agents.

  1. What can I do if my business premise is damaged?
  • Small business operators who own the damaged premises should contact the Insurance Council of Australia for help with questions about their bushfire and business continuity insurance and link them to their insurer. They don’t need to worry finding insurance documents, they will locate them. Call: 1800 734 621
  • Tenant and landlords with retail or commercial lease for the damaged premise concerned about repairs, rent and ability to trade should contact the NSW Small Business Commission Lease experts on 1300 795 534 or https://www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au/contact.
  • Home-based business with a residential lease for the damaged premise should make their real estate agent or landlord aware of the damage and call the NSW Fair Trading to discuss the matter further on 13 32 20.

    NOTE: There are grants up to $15,000 for clean-up and to cover the costs of relocation to, and lease of, temporary premises when immediate re-opening of the damaged premise is not possible. Apply here.

    Loss of Income is not currently eligible under this scheme.

  1. Where can I get legal advice?
  • Legal Aid NSW is currently providing free, practical legal assistance to help bush fire affected communities recover and rebuild. Call 1800 801 529 or go to www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au.
  1. How do I access financial assistance?
  • Disaster Recovery Payment is for anyone whose livelihood is affected by bushfires.  The one-off, non-means tested payment of $1000 is for eligible adults and $400 for eligible children in Australia or overseas. Apply here.
  • NSW Rural Assistance Authority Disaster recovery grant of up to $15,000, and low-interest loans of up to $130,000, are available to primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations in LGAs affected by the NSW bushfires. Apply here.

We have also developed a news article that is full of practical advice and information for small businesses. All this is on one page listing support services available to small businesses, including financial assistance options.


If you have used any information from this page to update your stakeholders please consider linking to this article as this page is updated regularly. It is important to ensure our stakeholders are receiving the most up to date information on support available.

We look forward to working with you.

Free Call:  1300 795 534

Web Contact: https://www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au/contact

Small Business Commission team


Po Box 270, WAUCHOPE NSW 2446  |  wauchopechamber@gmail.com  |  www.visitwauchope.com.au

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software